These pan fried chive dumplings are a dim sum favorite. This recipe is completely vegan and gluten free so they can be enjoyed by all. These dumplings have been steamed and pan fried to perfection.
Whenever I would go to dim sum with my family these dumplings always made it to our table. Traditionally they are made with shrimp but I've veganized it and used tofu instead.
Disclaimer: I used some tiny Chinese chives from our backyard so they are not as chivey as they should be. I'd recommend using large chives in this recipe and you can use more than I did as I had a limited supply. Didn't want to head to the grocery store just to pick up some chives so I made it work.
You'll need to steam these dumplings so you can use a large pan with a steaming rack, a steamer or even a instant pot.
- 1 1/2 cups Rice Flour
- 1 Tbs Vegetable Shortening
- 1 cup Boiling Water
- 1/2 block Tofu - Firm (crumbled)
- 1/2 cup Bamboo Shoots (finely chopped)
- 1/4 cup Shiitake Mushrooms (finely chopped)
- 1/4 cup Chinese Chives (cut into small pieces)
- 1 Tbs Cooking Wine
- 1 Tbs Tamari
- 1 tsp Sesame Oil
- 1/2 Tbs Cornstarch
- 1 tsp Coconut Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- In mixing bowl add all the stuffing and seasoning ingredients
- Mix well and set aside
- In mixing bowl add all the wrapper ingredients and mix well
- Once a dough forms knead dough
- Roll out and cut into about 20 pieces
- Roll each piece into a ball and flatten
- Fill each wrapper with the stuffing
- Pinch the sides together and pinch closed
- Repeat until all are done
- In large pan or steamer steam the dumplings for 5 min on high
- In large frying pan add oil on medium heat
- Fry the dumplings on both sides until crispy and lightly brown
- Dip in your favorite sauce
- We made a sauce using Sriracha with garlic, tamari and rice vinegar