This summer if you are looking for a good finger food to share with friends and family these vegan chicken salad pinwheel sandwiches are the perfect solution! Perfect for summer BBQ's, potlucks and picnics. They are so delicious and filling, not to mention fairly easy to make.
Using young jackfruit as the chicken you're not only getting the perfect texture but you are getting a ton of nutrients and dietary fiber! Jackfruit is known for having high amounts of vitamin C and also B vitamins. For this recipe we used canned young green jackfruit in brine. You want to use young jackfruit because it has a pretty bland flavor. If you use ripe jackfruit it will be sweet which isn't good for vegan chicken! We like to get our jackfruit from the Asian market because it tends to be cheaper and you get a larger can.
To make the chicken salad to taste like chicken we use No Chick Bouillon which is available on Amazon. It will make anything taste just like chicken! Seriously you'll love it.
We also made this gluten-free by using gluten-free tortillas by Siete Foods. They make some incredible paleo grain free tortillas. One of the best textures out there but they are quite pricey. We were able to find burrito sized tortillas by them in the frozen section of our local Sprouts Market. They also sell them on their website. If you don't have any issues with gluten use regular tortillas! Just make sure you get the large burrito sized ones.
In our YouTube video below we will show you how to make 3 different versions:
- Plain - chicken salad
- Classic - chicken salad, lettuce & tomato
- Fancy - chicken salad, avocado & cheese
- 2 x 20 oz cans Young Jackfruit (in brine)
- 1/2 cup Vegenaise
- 1 rib Celery (chopped)
- 2 Tbs Red Onion (chopped)
- 2 Tbs Pickles (chopped)
- 1/2 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 1/2 Tbs No Chick Bouillon
- 1/4 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/2 tsp Dill (we used fresh, but you can use dried)
- 1/8 tsp Pepper
- Large tortillas - we used gluten-free Siete grain free paleo burrito size tortillas purchased at our local Sprouts Market
- Classic: Lettuce, Tomato (sliced)
- Fancy: Cheese (sliced or shredded), Avocado (sliced or smashed)
- Drain, rinse & dry jackfruit
- Cut the cores off and discard
- Smash the jackfruit to remove the seeds and to break it up into shreds
- Chop celery, red onion & pickles
- In a mixing bowl add all the ingredients and mix well
- Lay out one tortilla depending on the brand or type you may want to heat up the tortilla so it doesn't crack (we used gluten-free so we heated ours up)
- Spread out an even layer of the jackfruit chicken salad across the entire tortilla leaving more empty space on one side (when you roll it will push the chicken salad)
- If adding additional ingredients lay them out in a strip in the middle of the tortilla on top of each other
- Now roll tightly towards the emptier side of the tortilla
- Once all rolled store in the fridge to allow to firm
- Right before serving cut into 2 inch thick slices