These stuffed zucchini boats are perfectly low carb and full of protein and nutrients. They're also delicious and meaty. You'll be surprised they're vegan!
Growing up my parents almost always cooked family style Chinese food for dinner. This is one dish that was on the rotation. I almost forgot about this dish until I moved back in with my mom. She has been eating meals with us so she decided to make this dish using Beyond meat and it tasted exactly as I remember it! This is her recipe that I’m sharing with you today.
These stuffed zucchini are steamed so they are super soft. She also makes a gravy from the cooking juices. Such a perfect dish to eat with rice! Not only is this dish low carb it’s full of nutrients and protein.
We steamed them in our Ninja Foodie so we didn’t have to monitor it but you can steam however you like. Be sure to use a wide ceramic or metal bowl to collect the juices. You’ll need them later to create a delicious gravy to pour over.
- 2 - Zucchini
- 1 - 4 oz Beyond Burger Patty
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp White Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Sesame Oil
- 1/2 tsp Tamari/Soy Sauce
- 1 Tbs + 1 tsp Tapioca Starch
- 2 Tbs + 1 Tbs Water
- Peel and cut the ends off the zucchini
- Cut the zucchini in half horizontally
- Use a small spoon to cut/scrape the insides out to make boats. Be sure to leave edges on the ends. See photo below:
- Sprinkle the inside of the zucchini with salt let sit for 10 min
- Chop the insides into small bits
- Add zucchini insides to a bowl and add beyond patty
- Add salt, pepper and sesame oil to the bowl
- Mix all ingredients together well
- Wipe the water from the zucchini that perspired from the salt
- Coat the inside of the zucchini with 1 Tbs of tapioca starch
- Stuff the zucchinis with the beyond mixture
- Place the zucchinis in a ceramic wide bowl
- Steam for about 8-10 min
- Remove and cover bowl with a plate and pour out the juices into small pot
- Be careful as the bowl with be hot use oven mitts
- Add 2 Tbs water and tamari and bring to a boil
- In a small bowl make tapioca slurry: whisk 1 Tbs cold water and 1 tsp tapioca
- Add slurry to the boiling sauce and mix with whisk
- Once thickened pour over the stuffed zucchini
- Serve family style with other dishes or eat over rice