Jook or Congee can be made many different ways from plain to meaty. This recipe adds tons of flavor and added protein for a delicious comfort meal. Perfect comfort meal for winter or any time of year.
Jook used to be something my mom would make for us when we weren't feeling well so for me it's definitely a comfort food. We normally ate it plain but once in a while if there was leftover chicken bones she would make meaty jook. So to make a vegan version of meaty jook I added some Beyond meat and some mushrooms. It came out amazing and a new family favorite!
Traditionally, we would make jook on the stove and boiled the rice for a very long time but since we got a Ninja Foodi we figured we'd try to make it in there! It was such a great idea because it came out perfect and in such a shorter amount of time. Plus you don't have to keep monitoring it, mixing it or adding more water to it. All you have to do is set it and forget it. Come back in 30 mins and you have perfect jook!
This recipe makes about 4 servings and comes out to be a pretty thick consistency. We usually like our jook pretty thick but if you prefer it to be more watery than you can add more water than the instructions say. This recipe only takes a total of 30 mins to make! Much quicker than making it on the stove.
- 2 Beyond Burgers (8 oz beefy crumbles)
- 1 cup Rice (washed)
- 6 cups Water
- 1/4 cup Shiitake Mushrooms (diced)
- Salt & White Pepper to taste
- Optional: soy sauce/tamari, sesame oil, green onions or your favorite jook topping!
- Wash rice with cold water about 3 times until water runs clear
- Dice shiitake mushrooms into small pieces
- Break up Beyond burgers into grounds
- Add all ingredients into the instant pot and mix well
- Cover with lid and pressure cook on high for 20 mins
- Allow slow release, let it count up to 10 mins before releasing
- Remove lid and mix well
- Serve hot and add salt & white pepper to taste
- Add your favorite toppings like soy sauce, sesame oil or green onions