Being vegan and gluten free I never imagined I'd ever eat fish'n chips again let alone beer battered fish'n chips. This recipe was developed using my English father's fish'n chip batter recipe that he used in his Chip Shop (fish'n chip shop) in Liverpool.
My dad was born in Liverpool and during the 70's him and his brother owned a "Chip Shop" aka a Fish and Chip Shop. His fish'n chip recipe was always perfect every time and I definitely miss it. When he passed away June of 2017 I realized I never got the recipe from him. The good news is my mom also knew the recipe he used,
I recently went to Doug McNish's Mythology Diner where I tried his Truly Ocean Wise Tempeh and Chips. I've never had such great beer battered gluten free vegan fish and chips before!! The Gardein Golden Fishless Filets are great but they aren't gluten free and they aren't beer battered.
I had to come up with my own recipe, one that I can throw together when I'm in the mood for some great British comfort food :)
Hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do!
- 1/2 cup 1:1 Gluten Free flour
- 1/2 cup Corn Starch
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Sugar (I used organic cane sugar)
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Onion Garlic
- 1/2 tsp Salt (I used Hawaiian Lava salt gives a cheesy smoked flavor)
- 1/8 tsp Pepper
- 6 oz of Sparkling water
- 3 tbs Vegan Butter (melted)
- 1 tsp Fresh Dill (chopped)1/2 tsp Dulse Flakes (optional)
- 1 package of Tempeh with Sea Vegetables (I used Noble Bean)
- Oil for frying (I used coconut oil)
- Cut Tempeh into fish and chip size or any size you want. Cut in long strips to make fish fingers or small pieces to make fish tacos! Yummy ;P
- Mix [C] together Brush [C] on the Tempeh pieces and set aside
- Whisk [A] together in a medium mixing bowl
- Add [B] to [A]
- Whisk together a smooth batter
- Heat oil in pot enough to cover the fish pieces mostly or at least halfway
- Dip the tempeh into the batter until completely covered
- Cook the battered tempeh until golden brown
- Flip over to the other side and cook until golden brown
- Serve with chips (aka french fries) and your favorite fish and chip dip like tartar sauce, vinegar, lemon or ketchup ;-)
Inspired by my father's fish & chip recipe & Doug McNish's Truly Ocean Wise Tempeh and Chips and modified from The Spruce's Gluten-Free Beer-Battered Fish Fry Recipe.