If you love creamy risotto this recipe is for you! It's the perfect low carb option that doesn't skimp on flavor or cream so you won't be feeling left out. This one pot meal is easy to make and is perfect for meal prepping, pot lucks or any meal of the day!
Ok so before going vegan I have to admit I used to buy the mushroom risotto boxes from Trader Joe's it was quick and easy to make. Even my parents used to make it for my family growing up on occasion. I haven't had a mushroom risotto since going vegan so I had to veganize this tasty dish. I've been trying to eat healthier so decided to make a cauliflower rice version.
I have to admit I'm a huge fan of cashew cream. It's the one type of vegan cream that's easy to make and is the closest to the real deal. Coconut cream is too sweet and you can taste the coconut. Don't get me wrong I love coconut but I don't want to taste it in dishes that aren't supposed to be coconutty.
To make the cashew cream we boil 1:2 raw cashews to water for 5 min, drain, then blend with pinch of salt add 1:1 plant milk and boom you got cashew cream. For this recipe I used 1/2 cup cashews, 1 cup water & 1/2 cup milk. We love to use it to make sour cream with cashews by adding lemon juice as well as ricotta cheese by pulsing and using less milk.
This recipe makes about 4 servings.
- 1 lb Mushrooms sliced (I used Crimini & Maitake)
- 1/2 Onion chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 3 Garlic Cloves (minced)
- 1 cup Frozen Peas (defrosted)
- 1/4 cup Fresh Parsley (chopped)
- 1 tsp Fresh Thyme (chopped)
- 2 12 oz bags of Cauliflower Rice (680 g)
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup No Chick Broth (1/2 cup hot water + 1/2 tsp No Chick Bouillon)
- 1 batch Cashew Cream (see above)
- 2 Tbs Cooking Wine
- 2 Tbs Coconut Aminos
- 1/4 cup Vegan Parmesan Cheese (or more for extra cheesy, I used Follow Your Heart)
- 1 Tbs Tapioca Starch
- Salt (about 1 tsp)
- Pepper (about 1/2 tsp)
- Oil for cooking (about 2 Tbs, I used use Sunflower Oil)
- Prepare all the veggies, mushrooms and herbs by chopping/slicing
- Heat pan/pot/dutch oven on medium heat
- Add oil to pan to cover the bottom
- Add onions and garlic and cook until translucent (about 5 min, stir occasionally)
- Add mushrooms and pour some broth over to help cook. I also added more oil
- Cook until mushrooms are soft (about 5 min, I also covered for about 1 min, stir occasionally)
- Add parsley, thyme, salt & pepper, peas, mix well let sit for about 1 min
- Add cauliflower rice, mix well and let simmer (about 5 min, stir occasionally)
- Add cashew cream, cooking wine and coconut aminos
- Mix well and let simmer for another 5 min to cook off liquid, stir occasionally
- Add parmesan and tapioca starch, mix well
- Serve hot, optional top with more fresh herbs