Garlic noodles are filled with butter, garlic and cheese making it a mouthwatering dish to garlic lovers. This Vietnamese-American dish was actually invented by Thanh Long a restaurant in the outer sunset district of San Francisco in 1971. Garlic noodles have grown in popularity and popping up at many restaurants and food trucks around the world.
Do you like butter, garlic, cheesy carby goodness?
If you're a fan this garlic noodle recipe is for you!
Traditionally this dish is not vegan but with so many vegan replacements it's so easy to transform. Using vegan butter and vegan parmesan you can make this dish in a snap. You can even add some vegan shrimp to this dish if you have it available. The star ingredient in this dish is definitely the fresh garlic.
For this recipe we made it gluten free so we used brown rice spaghetti noodles but you can use your favorite type of noodles. This recipe will make 2-3 servings depending on how hungry you are and it only takes about 15 mins to make.
- 8-10 Garlic Cloves (minced)
- 12 oz Noodles (we used brown rice)
- 4 Tbs Vegan Butter (we used Miyoko's salted butter)
- 1/2 cup Vegan Parmesan Cheese (we used Good Planet brand)
- 1 Green Onion (chopped for garnish)
- 1 Tbs Hoisin Sauce (we used gluten free)
- 1 Tbs Soy Sauce or Tamari (for gluten free)
- 1 Tbs Sesame Oil
- 1/2 Tbs Coconut Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- Cook pasta noodles al dente based on the packaging (all brands & types have different instructions. We used brown rice noodles and cooked for 10 mins.)
- Drain & rinse noodles with cold water
- Mince garlic & chop green onion
- In a large frying pan/wok on low heat melt butter and add garlic
- Cook for about 5 mins
- In a small bowl mix the hoisin, soy sauce, sesame oil, coconut sugar & salt
- Whisk until sugar & salt dissolve
- In the butter/garlic pan add the noodles, sauce mixture, cheese & green onions (save some cheese & green onions for garnish if desired)
- Mix well and cook for another few minutes
- Serve hot & garnish with parmesan & green onion if desired