This Hawaiian mac salad recipe is super creamy and simple to make. Goes great with Hawaiian food or bring to potlucks or BBQs. Share this delicious macaroni salad with your friends and family. You won’t be able to tell it’s actually vegan and gluten free!
One of my favorite parts of eating Hawaiian BBQ was the macaroni salad. There’s something about it that is so different than the way my family would make it. It’s so rich and creamy. Simple yet delicious. Goes perfect with musubi or any other Hawaiian dish you whip up. Perfect for sharing with others! Bring to potlucks or BBQs.
For this recipe we recommend using either Follow Your Heart or Hellman's vegenaise for this recipe. Some of the other brands are more tangy but we want that creamy flavor and texture. We used Follow Your Heart vegenaise in ours.
We have a vegan musubi recipe they go sooo good with this macaroni salad. A perfect match!
- 1 lb Macaroni (we used brown rice)
- 1 cup Vegenaise
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup Onion (minced/finely chopped, depending on how oniony you like it)
- 1/2 cup Carrot (shredded & chopped)
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp White Pepper
- Cook the macaroni based on the package instructions (every pasta brand is different, brown rice pasta typically needs to be rinsed in cold water after cooking)
- Mince the onion by chopping it into very tiny pieces
- Shred the carrot using a cheese shredder, mandolin or veggie slicer, then chop into smaller pieces
- Once macaroni is cooked drain and place in a large mixing bowl
- Add remaining ingredients: onion, carrots, veganaise, salt and pepper and mix well
- Cover and place in the fridge for a few hours or overnight