Bánh Mì is all about the bread in fact Bánh Mì in Vietnamese means bread. If you can you get your hands on a baguette making a vegan Bánh Mì is simple! It does take some planning but it's well worth it. This recipe has it all from the pickled veggies to the marinated tofu. Full of flavor and crunch this recipe is definitely a staple in our house.
- 1/2 block tofu (firm)
- Oil for frying
- Baguettes (we used gluten free My Bread Bakery)
- Vegan Mayo
- Fresh Jalapeño
- Pickled Daikon & Carrots
- 1/4 cup Tamari/Soy Sauce
- 1 tsp Maple Syrup
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Onion Powder
- 2 Tbs Hot Water
- I used a pickling recipe by @veganesetokyo on instagram to pickle the daikon and carrots. You'll want to chop them into small sticks. You'll want to make these at least a day before you plan to make the sandwiches.
- To be honest I didn't measure when I made the marinade so I'm going to be giving estimates here. I need to be more on top of measuring!
- I sliced the tofu and then cut slits on one side to allow the marinade really soak in
- I add the following marinade ingredients into a wide container
- Use a whisk to mix all the ingredients well
- Add tofu making sure all the tofu is covered by the liquid
- Marinade for at least 10 min
- While the tofu is marinating prepare the veggies:
- Slice the cucumber & jalapeño
- In large frying pan add some high temperature oil, I used Safflower, on medium heat
- Add tofu to pan and pour some of the marinade over the tofu and cook until liquid is cooked off and the tofu in browned
- Flip and repeat
Toast Baguette in a toaster oven then add the mayo, tofu, layer of pickled veggies, cucumber, cilantro and jalapeño. Cut in half with a knife and enjoy!