Hey friends! It's been a long time since I've posted a recipe. Hope y'all have been good and enjoyed the holidays and had a wonderful new year.
Little update if you didn't know I'm a new mom! So I've been learning how to be a parent and trying to get the hang of taking care of a little human.
I've also been working behind the scenes to get more No Chick Bouillon in stock! It's a hit and I'm so thankful everyone loves it as much as I do. Some exciting news I'm finally working on getting our No Beef Bouillon launched :) (I know so much exciting stuff to come this year with Hella Phat Vegan)
If you're new here one of my favorite things to do is to veganize foods that I used to eat and now miss so much! Now with so many vegan alternatives it's easier than ever to do this. Today I am going to share my recipe on how to make vegan elote which is Mexican street corn. I grew up in the Bay Area of California and right next to the city of Concord. There is a huge Mexican population so I'm fortunate to have been exposed to a lot of Mexican culture and food.
One of my favorites is elote that I would buy from the street vendors pushing the shopping cart around the neighborhood selling elote, mango and chili and another favorite of mine chicharrones de harina. I've watched them make elote so many times that I decided make my own vegan version! Traditionally they use cotija cheese but I used Follow Your Heart parmesan cheese and ground it up in a food processor. To my surprise it came out very close or at least what I remember it being like. You could also use a vegan feta but I feel like that might be a little too wet for this recipe. You'll also need some vegenaise again I used Follow Your Heart brand but you can use any brand you like.
This recipe turned out amazing! Just like how I remember it. They don't usually put cilantro on top when I would get it but I added it for some extra color as a garnish. Hope you like the recipe and if you try it out we'd love to know how it came out! Share with us on social @hellaphatvegan
- 2 - 4 Corn Cobs
- 1/4 cup Vegan Parmesan Cheese
- 1/4 cup Vegenaise
- Juice of Lime
- Cayenne Powder
- Cook corn, I boiled it but you can also BBQ or bake it
- Add vegan parmesan into a food processor and process until in small crumbs
- I stuck a skewer into the stem of the corn so it is easier to handle and eat but this is optional
- Use a spatula to coat the corn with vegenaise
- Now coat the corn with the parmesan cheese (I used my fingers but using a spoon is cleaner)
- Squeeze the lime juice on the corn
- Finally coat with cayenne powder
- If you'd like you can garnish with cilantro this is optional