Philadelphia rolls are a sushi classic. Made with cream cheese and smoked salmon this lox type sushi roll is not only vegan it's delicious! We use carrot smoked salmon and vegan cream cheese. Perfect for sushi nights at home!
Cream cheese and smoked salmon make the perfect pair! Not only good on bagels but in sushi. This recipe veganizes a sushi classic the Philadelphia roll. It's definitely a newer invention making its appearance around the 1980's in North America. We've added avocado in ours because avocado just goes great in sushi but feel free to use cucumber, green onion, or simply without.
You'll need to make a batch of our carrot smoked salmon for this. The batch makes 6 servings but you'll only need 2 servings so feel free to make a half batch or a full batch if you want to enjoy the smoked salmon carrots throughout the week on bagels.
Philadelphia rolls are makizushi which means the rice is on the outside. I'll show you how to make them in the recipe video so be sure to watch it above. You'll need a bamboo rolling mat to make these. This recipe will make 8 rolls and 8 pieces per roll. It makes enough for a sushi feast!
- 2 cups Sushi Rice
- 2 1/4 cups Water
- 2 Tbs Rice Vinegar
- 2 tsp Mirin
- 1 Tbs Water
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1-2 servings of Vegan Smoked Salmon Carrots
- 7 oz Vegan Cream Cheese (we used 8 oz tub of Trader Joe's brand)
- 4 Nori Sheets (broken in half longways/hotdog = 8 halfs)
- 1 Avocado (you can use cucumber or green onions)
- Sesame Seeds (for garnish we used black sesame seeds)
- Wash rice until water runs clear (about 3 times)
- Cook in a rice cooker or on stove top about 15 min
- In a small bowl add rice vinegar, mirin, water and salt
- Use a whisk to mix until all ingredients have dissolved
- Break nori sheets in half long ways like a hot dog
- Cut avocado in half and peel the skin off, slice thinly
- When rice is cooked move to a mixing bowl
- Add rice vinegar mixture and mix well, allow to cool
- Add thin layer of rice to the rough side of the nori sheet
- Compact the rice to the nori sheet with wet rice spoon
- Turn nori sheet over and place on top and on the bottom edge of a bamboo mat
- Add a strip of smoked salmon carrots, then cream cheese and avocado
- Tuck and roll the sushi roll (see video for tutorial)
- Cut with a wet knife into bite size pieces, each roll should make 8 pieces
- Add to a plate and repeat
- Serve with your favorite sauce, wasabi and soy sauce/tamari or simply plain