Smoked salmon is the ultimate breakfast food. Perfect for making lox! You can also enjoy on crackers, toast or even sushi. You'll be shocked! Carrots make the perfect vegan smoked salmon.
We used to live on Vancouver Island and we were fortunate enough to get our hands on some Save da Sea Smoked Salmon which was pretty amazing. The only thing not amazing is that it's extremely hard to find and cost $10 a package. That one package also only lasted one meal between me and Sean. They make their smoked salmon out of carrots so I thought I'd give it a go and create my own version. To be honest it wasn't as good as theirs but it was close enough to fill that smoked salmon craving!
We'll continue to work on this recipe to hopefully make it even better! Until then here's a great recipe that you can try now to make some homemade smoked salmon using carrot.
For this recipe you'll need to thinly slice the carrots. I used a mandoline slicer but you can use a vegetable peeler, cheese slicer or a knife. This recipe was enough for us to enjoy with crackers as a snack, on toast and even in a sushi Philadelphia roll! It makes a lot so you can enjoy it throughout the week or freeze it for later enjoyment.
- 6-8 Carrots (mine were pretty small so I used 8 you can use 6 medium/large ones)
- 1 cup Hot Water
- 1/4 cup Tamari
- 1 Tbs Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tsp Rice Vinegar
- 3 tsp Liquid Smoke
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 Nori Sheet
- Peel and cut ends off carrots
- Place in basket and sprinkle with salt (you can also bake them)
- Add 1/2 cup water and pressure cook on high for 5 min, quick release
- In a blender add nori sheet and blend until flakes
- In a wide bowl add hot water, tamari, apple cider vinegar, rice vinegar, liquid smoke, salt and nori flakes
- Mix well and set aside
- Place carrots on cooling rack for 5 min
- Once cooled thinly slice with a mandoline, vegetable peeler, cheese slicer or a knife
- Add carrot slices to the marinade
- Let marinade for at least 1 hour in the fridge
- Enjoy as lox, with crackers, on toast, in sushi, etc.