Fresh spring rolls make the perfect snack, appetizer or meal. Since being vegan I've been eating a lot of tofu spring rolls and have really missed the ones with shrimp. Luckily I've found some amazing vegan and gluten-free shrimp from Layonna Vegetarian Health Food Market in Oakland. These can also be found on GTFO it's Vegan. It's incredible how many vegan substitutes there are now! I'll have a couple more shrimp recipes coming soon so keep an eye out!
Random helpful hint on how to use these vegan shrimp in a soup type dishes: Don't boil them in a broth/soup because they will loose their shrimpy flavor. Instead add them in at the end once your broth/soup is ready.
If you end up making these delicious spring rolls I highly recommend pairing them with one of our bánh mì sandwich recipes: Quick and Easy Tofu Bánh Mì Sandwich or Tofu Bánh Mì Sandwich. So so delicious!
- 4 Rice Sheets
- 6 Vegan Shrimp (cut in half, see video)
- 1 1/2 cups Lettuce (I used mixed greens)
- 2-3 sprigs Mint (fresh)
- 1 1/2 cups Rice Noodles (cooked)
- 1-2 Tbs Hoisin Sauce
- 1-2 tsp P2B or Peanut Butter
- Optional: crushed peanuts
- Cook noodles, drain & set aside
- Cut vegan shrimp
- In a large plate or wide bowl fill with slightly warm water
- Soak a rice sheet for about 30 seconds
- Place on a flat surface
- Add lettuce, 2-3 mint leaves, rice noodles
- Next add the shrimp with the pink side facing down above the other ingredients (watch video for tutorial)
- Fold up from the bottom and fold in the sides
- Continue rolling up
- Make the sauce by mixing everything together top with crushed peanuts if desired