If you're a huge fan of lasagna this is a fun way of satisfying that lasagna craving. Perfect for a potlucks, meal prepping, picnics or for any meal of the day! These roll ups are so delicious you'll be surprised they're vegan and gluten free! We used cashew ricotta, Beyond beef and vegan parmesan you'll wish you made a double batch.
This is a great recipe if you want to incorporate more veggies into your diet or if you simply want to switch things up! I know you're probably thinking zucchini? Will that be good? I can tell you right now I thought the same thing and I'm so amazed at how delicious they were. I didn't even miss the lasagna noodles and I now prefer zucchini!
For this recipe you'll need to make our Basil Cashew Ricotta recipe, a Beyond burger patty or your favorite beefy crumble and some vegan parmesan we used Follow Your Heart. For the zucchini it's best to use a mandoline to get evenly thin slices. You can also try using a cheese slicer or if you're a ninja with a knife do that. I used a dutch oven to cook this recipe so I could put the lid on it to help the cheese melt and prevent it from burning.
There are 3 servings in this recipe so if you want leftovers, feeding many mouths, meal prepping or going to a potluck I recommend doing a double batch.
- 1 Flax Egg (1 Tbs Flax Meal + 3 Tbs Water)
- 1 Beyond Burger Patty (4 oz)
- 2 Large Zucchinis (sliced thinly)
- 1 batch Basil Cashew Ricotta
- 1/2 cup Onions (chopped)
- 1/2 cup Spinach (I used chopped frozen)
- 1 cup Marinara Sauce
- 1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese (shreds)
- 2 tsp Salt
- Make flax egg by mixing flax meal with water. Set a side in fridge until needed
- Slice the zucchini into thin slices
- Cover the zucchini slices with salt on both sides and let stand for 15 min
- Make cashew ricotta using our Basil Cashew Ricotta recipe
- Cook the onions and beyond meat (I cooked them separately but you can cook them together)
- Defrost the frozen spinach (I put it on power 3 in the microwave for 1 min stirred and another min)
- Once the zucchini has been sitting for 15 min use a clean kitchen towel to dab/wipe all the water until dry. Repeat for the other side of the zucchini
- In a mixing bowl add the beyond, ricotta, onions, spinach and flax egg and mix well
- Preheat the oven to 400°F
- In a dutch oven/baking dish add 1/2 cup of marinara sauce to the bottom evenly
- Spread mixture onto the zucchini until it covers the entire length then roll loosely
- Stand the zucchini on it's side standing up in the dutch oven/baking dish
- Once you placed all the rolls into the dutch oven/baking dish cover them with the other 1/2 cup of marinara sauce
- Sprinkle the parmesan cheese on top
- Cover the dutch oven/baking dish
- Put in the oven for 25 min
- Remove from oven and serve hot