Make your own creamy Alfredo sauce at home with simple ingredients. Raw cashews make the perfect creamy base for any dish. You'll be enjoying a comforting Alfredo sauce any time you want with this easy recipe. Recipe yields about 2 jars worth of sauce.
I don't know about you but it's been forever since I've had Alfredo sauce especially after going vegan. There's one brand that I've tried once before that was pretty good. It's called Victoria Vegan but because it's so expensive I've only tried it once and that was a few years ago. It's not something that ends up on my shopping list and I tend to stick with tomato sauces based on the price.
When I saw a delicious Alfredo posted by the amazing @YourLittleVeganPal on Instagram I started craving it and had to make my own version! Ever since I've been enjoying Alfredo sauce more than tomato because it's so easy to make.
We use cashew cream for a variety of things because it's just so dang good! If you want to make any kind of creamy goodness I highly recommend using cashew cream. We use it as ricotta, sour cream and even to make creamy risotto! I just knew it would be the perfect base for my Alfredo sauce.
This recipe will make about 2 jars of sauce and makes about 6 servings. Perfect to throw in the fridge for when you want to enjoy it. This recipe isn't just for the sauce but I'll be showing you how to make a delicious alfredo dish with scallops from king oyster mushrooms.
- 1 cup Raw Cashews
- 2 cup Water
- 1 1/2 cup Milk (I used Almond)
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 Tbs Nutritional Yeast
- 2 Tbs Cooking Wine
- 1 Tbs Lemon Juice (about 1/2 lemon)
- 2 tsp Brown Rice Flour
- Oil (about 2 Tbs)
- 1/2 Onion (minced about 1/2 cup)
- 4 Cloves Garlic (minced)
- 1/4 cup or more Vegan Cheese (I used 2 slices of creamy Chao cheese)
- 1 cup Spinach (whole from frozen or 2 cups fresh)
- 3-4 large King Oyster Mushrooms
- 3 Tbs Capers
- 2 Tbs Fresh Parsley (chopped)
- Defrost spinach if using frozen (I used a microwave)
- Boil cashews in 2 cups water for 5 min
- Save 1 cup of cashew water and drain the rest
- Add cashews to blender add milk, cashew water, salt, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, brown rice flour, cooking wine and blend until smooth
- Mince onions and garlic, chop parsley set aside and slice mushroom into scallop looking pieces (about 1/4 inch thick)
- In a pan on medium heat add 1 Tbs of oil
- Add mushrooms and sprinkle salt on top
- Cook until browned on the rims on both sides, remove from pan and set aside
- In a pot add 1 Tbs oil on medium heat
- Add onions and garlic turn to low heat and cook until translucent
- Add cashew mixture
- Turn heat to medium and mix with a whisk until thickened
- Allow to cook a couple minutes
- In the mushroom pan put on low heat
- Add cooked pasta, some alfredo sauce, mushrooms, capers, parsley and spinach
- Mix well and plate
- Put the remaining alfredo sauce in a jar for later enjoyment